May is National Water Safety Month. Are you prepared?
Here are 10 tips for parents from the World Waterpark Association and Water World in Hyland Hills, Colo.:
- Provide swim lessons for children before third grade if possible.
- Read and discuss safety rules with children upon arrival at the pool or waterpark.
- Make sure any personal floatation devices are Coast Guard approved.
- Stay in close proximity to your children at all times.
- Wear water shoes to protect feet from hot sidewalks.
- Never bring a sick child (especially a child suffering from diarrhea) to the pool.
- Remind children to avoid ingesting water and to take regular bathroom breaks.
- Change diapers in designated areas only.
- Sun safety: Apply sunscreen a half hour before going out into the sun for maximum absorption. Use sunscreen that is at least 30 SPF–and reapply every 2 hours. Stay hydrated with water and other clear liquids or sports drinks.
- Never swim alone, especially at neighborhood pools where no lifeguards are on duty.
Now is a good time to remind your patrons about these water safety tips–before summer is in full swing.